Machine Wilderness - ARTIS
In this project at ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo artists and designers will develop an experiment or research project in a public setting.
In 2022, eight artists join the Machine Wilderness project exploring the rich and diverse worlds of animals, plants and microbes in ARTIS and MICROPIA. From March till June artists will each be experimenting for a number of weeks in the park to get closer to the lives of other creatures and reveal hidden worlds. Visitors can see them at work during their research or learn more in artists' presentations. By exploring the relations between technology and other life forms we investigate how animals and plants share signals, how they learn, set boundaries, or organize their lives. Through experiments and prototypes we try to find ways to engage with their worlds more deeply. Can machines help us rejoin ‘the great conversation’ among life on Earth?
The ARTIS project will run from March 11 until June 24th of 2022 with public talks, demos and experiments and is organised by FoAM in collaboration with Zone2Source and ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo.
- Driessens/Verstappen, Residency: 12 maart t/m 1 April - Open studio: 16, 23 and 30 March - Endpresentation: 14 April
- Heather Barnett, Residency: 2 until 14 April - Open studio: 6 en 13 April - Endpresentation: 14 April
- Antti Tenetz, Residency: 2 until 9 April and 20 until 24 June - Open studio: 6 april en 22 juni - Endpresentation: 24 June
- Ivan Henriques, Residency: 21 May until 9 June - Open studio: 25 May and 1 June - Endpresentation: 9 June
- Thomas Thwaites, Residency: 21 May until 9 June - Open studio: 25 May and 1 June - Endpresentation: 9 June
- Špela Petrič, Residency: 11 until 24 June - Expedition: 15 and 22 June - Endpresentation: 24 June
- Ian Ingram, Residency: 11 until 24 June - Open studio: 15 and 22 June - Endpresentation: 24 June
- final event: Machine Wilderness art-science fair: 24 June
Student programmes lead by: Cocky Eek (ArtScience Interfaculty) and Clemens Driessen (WUR)
Created: 20 Feb 2020 / Updated: 10 Mar 2022